Monday, April 18, 2011

Random Music Thoughts

I wanted to post something about music but I realized quickly that I didn't have the patience to sit down and write a lot about music.  I mean what can I say that hasn't already been said about great songs, song writers, etc.?

What I decided to do instead was pick a couple of songs at random from a playlist I have called "Hype Music".  Don't let the name of the playlist fool you.  It isn't a bunch of music that gets me ready for a fight or anything of that nature.  Its more of a playlist to kind of lift me up on my walk to walk.  Whenever I need that extra boost, I go to this playlist.

What I did was put the playlist on shuffle and just write a little something about the songs that come up.  With that being said, let's get our music on!

"One" by Metallica - I can't really say when I got into Metallica.  For those of you who know my music history, I wasn't into anything but hip-hop before I got to college in 2000.  I had heard songs of course but didn't really have any musical appreciation for anything bar Dr. Dre and DMX.  So I would say that thanks to Matt I heard a lot of Metallica and other harder stuff.  When I think of Metallica the first song that pops in my head is One.  Its just epic and I love the solos towards the end.  It definitely gets me going when I hear that chopper at the very beginning!  (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM8bTdBs-cw)

"Monkey Wrench" by Foo Fighters - I remember hearing their first single "Big Me" and loving the song.  It came out when I wasn't into rock or anything like that so the song really stood out.  I didn't bother to check out any of their other songs until I was living with Dave, Noj and Matt.  Noj had a lot of Foo Fighters songs and this one just called out to me.  It isn't their best song and it isn't my favorite.  My favorite is probably "Stranger Things Have Happened".  Not their best but I just love that song.  Monkey Wrench is heavy and the music video is solid gold.  (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7rCNiiNPxA)

"Cocaine and Toupees" by Mindless Self Indulgence - Dusty can be thanked for forcing me to listen to MSI non-stop.  Always liked what I heard but was never that into them.  Recently I rediscovered 'Frankenstein Girls Will Seem Strangely Sexy' and I love every track of it.  MSI isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I think it is just a reflection of how odd my musical tastes can be.  (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jYsNiShrgQ)

"Shut Em Down" by Onyx feat. DMX - Now I will admit that Onyx isn't exactly the greatest rap trio of all time.  They had a mediocre rise with "Slam" but honestly they just didn't have what it takes to stick around.  I have a ton of respect for Sticky Fingaz (rapping not acting) for his ridiculous flow.  The addition of DMX adds something lacking to this song and since I heard it a long time ago I haven't been able to skip it.  Oh and the beat is great! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgTrGfb7bbA)

"No One Knows" by Queens of the Stone Age - I hadn't heard a single song by them until Bradshaw introduced me to 'Songs for the Deaf'.  It rocked my 2003/2004 and I still have a copy of the CD to this day.  This was the first single off that album and they just rock it.  Dave Grohl does drums on the entire album so you know it has to be good.  I enjoy all of their stuff but this song just kind of takes me back to rockin' out on a drive to Food Lion to score 40's. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s88r_q7oufE)

"Parabola" by Tool - Going to see Tool was one of the greatest experiences of my life.  At that point in time I wasn't really into them as much as everyone else but I didn't want to miss out on that trip.  Just about everyone and their mother took to see them perform on the 'Lateralus' tour.  After a few years I really got into them and I can proudly say that as of right now they are my favorite band.  The ever evolving ensemble wow me at every turn.  Parabola in particular does the trick because of how intricate the entire song is.  When you pair it up with the mellow and methodical track "Parabol" you have a powerful duo. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiV_ue-PbL4)

"No One Like You" by Scorpions - It wouldn't be me if there wasn't some wicked 80's throwback.  I can't say I'm a "huge" Scorpions fan.  I think this might be the only song I know.  I love it, plain and simple.  I think 80's guitar solos were just incredible.  They weren't perfect but every rock song in the 80's had one and I just think it is awesome!  And you can't beat the solo that starts the song. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YNUu7w-WpU)

"Been a Son" by Nirvana - When I got to college and was introduced to rock and other genres the first band I wanted to listen to was Nirvana.  I remember hearing "Smells Like Teen Spirit" when it came out.  I was so into Nirvana but I was like 6 years too late.  Being completely honest I knew that Kurt Cobain had died but until 2000, I didn't know he was the guy from Nirvana.  Shames  me to say it but you have to think we didn't talk about Nirvana a lot when listening to DMX.  Been a Son is a quick song but I love it.  I have no idea what he is talking about but that is Kurt for you.  (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNYBzSZawGo)

"Flesh of My Flesh, Blood of My Blood" by DMX - Hahaha.  I just think its funny that he has been mentioned multiple times in this blog and it finally lands on a song of his.  Just to clear the record DMX is by no means my favorite rapper.  But when talking about music history he is pretty much the starting point of my adult dive into music.  His first two albums 'It's Dark and Hell is Hot' and 'Flesh of My Flesh, Blood of My Blood' are absolutely incredible.  Everything after that goes from meh to bleh.  The title track off Flesh of My Flesh is just incredible.  I remember rewinding the tape over and over just to try and figure out what one lyric was.  This is probably one of my top five DMX songs.  That being said, he doesn't get much play from me now.  That was a fun time back in 98/99 but I've moved on.  Every now again, I have to put him on though.  It's a fun way to start the journey to work.  (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc0DDCaQzxw)

What better way to end this than with... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHsNLp0Opog)

"Big Poppa" by The Notorious B.I.G - This became a Radford staple but before that it was simply one of my favorite songs.  Hands down he is one of the greatest rappers of all time.  His flow, persona and attention to detail made him one of the best lyrics in my personal opinion.  'Ready to Die' is probably my favorite hip-hip/rap album of all time.  He was a legend and it is a shame his life was ended so abruptly.  This song always brings back fond memories.  From blasting it at the Dog Pound or just listening to it in my dorm room.  I still have to sing along every time it plays.  Probably the first song I memorized all the lyrics to intentionally.

I love all kinds of music.  From Biggie, Muse, The Beatles, Snake River Conspiracy, Stevie Wonder, one song by Panic at the Disco, MC Hammer, Tears for Fears, Eric Clapton, Earth Wind & Fire, The Roots, Eminem and a host of others.

My personal philosophy is that as long as you enjoy it, you should listen to it.  It doesn't matter if you shouldn't like it because of this or that.  I know that some people are taken aback when they hear what I listen to.  Maybe its because of who I am and how I present myself.  All I know is that I love music.  Be it hip-hop, metal, hair-metal, or alternative.  Listen to what you love and appreciate music in all its gloriousness!

Rock out with whatever you have out!

One

1 comment:

  1. You just inspired me to listen to Scorpions greatest hits on the way into work today! Thanks EROK!!!

    ReplyDelete